- Prostate cancer is one of the most controversial cancers in both diagnosis and treatment.
- If you’re cursed with a cancer - this is the one to ask for!!
- Prostate cancer is more aggressive in a black person than a white person
- This is the second commonest cancer that affect men after lung cancer
- The risk of developing prostate cancer increases after the age of 50 years. Majority of prostate cancer are diagnosed in men over 65 years.
- There are over 2 million American men currently living with prostate cancer.
- Charles B. Huggins in 1941 was awarded a Nobel prize for understanding that prostate cancer was dependent on testosterone for its growth and spread and this could be reversed by giving estrogens, the so called ‘Chemical Castration’.
- Prostate Specific Antigen - a marker to diagnose prostate cancer was first used in forensic investigation to determine if a stain on the undergarment was due to semen or not.
- The use of ‘robotics in surgery’ is most commonly deployed for removing a malignant prostate cancer from the pelvis.
- Prostate cancer is a relatively slow-growing cancer. For all stages of the cancer the average 5-year survival rate is 98% and the 10-year survival rate is 84%. Remember - Most people die with this cancer and not of it.
Read current news at http://bbc-cnn-worldnews.blogspot.com